Hold the Front Page!

Two of Scotland's teaching unions - the EIS and NASUWT - are at loggerheads, the newspapers report today. 

Wow, what a shocker - hold the front page!

The EIS (Educational Institue of Scotland) and NASUWT (National Association of Schooolmasters and Union of Women Teachers) have apparently fallen out over one of the big issues of our time:

Changes to the way supply teachers are paid.

Now I can't say, myself, that I've noticed this great subject being the 'talk of the steamie' - as I go about my life's daily routine.

But apparently it's a big deal - to some teachers at least - who think they should be paid at a higher rate if they go back and do supply teaching at a school - having previously retired from duty.

Such teachers 'are up in arms' - as I understand the dispute - because they want their 'old' rate of pay, i.e. the one they enjoyed before retiring - as opposed to a new entrant's rate of pay.

Which of of course would mean different teachers receiving different rates of pay - for doing what amounts to exactly the same job.

Confused?

Well so am I - I only wish someone would explain to me what this is really all about - and if they do I'll happily share the details on the blog site. 

Meantime the NASUWT have written to the Education Secretary - Mike Russell - complaining about the make-up of the teachers negotiating body - and calling for changes to be made.

I imagine this will be given very short shrift - taking all the circumstances into account. 

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!