Mum Knows Best

Daniel Finkelstein wrote an amusing and thoughtful article for The Times yesterday - here's an extract of what he had to say.

"What do you think of Ed Miliband's speech? Do you think the emphasis on the squeezed middle will work? How much of a blow is it that Ed Miliband can't get his conference voting plan through?

I feel almost embarrassed at my own contribution, because it's ridiculously unsophisticated and it is pretty much immune to alteration by any of the things that are happening here. It consists of two points.

First, most people don't think Ed is up to being prime minister. And second, he's too left-wing. And there's not a lot Labour can do about either of those things. That's the signal, the rest is just noise.

In 2001, standing as a candidate in a marginal seat and with days to go until the contest was over, I was ringing up undecided voters to see if I could give them a final push our way.

I'm not going to vote for you", said a woman in Rayners Lane. " I can't stand William Hague's voice."

And the rest is history - as they say.

I know exactly what Daniel Finkelstein means - because I had exactly the same experience with my dear old Mum and Neil Kinnock.

Now my Mum never met Neil Kinnock - though she did listen to him on the telly - but nothing I could do or say would get her to vote Labour - while he was party leader.

Me - I was out campaigning loyally for Neil Kinnock and Labour at the time - but in the end my Mum was proved right - the voters just didn't take to him - his image as a Welsh Windbag stuck like mud.

I heard Neil Kinnock on the telly the other day at the Labour party conference - and I have to report that his appetite for using ten words when two will do - is as great as ever.

The new Labour leader - Ed Miliband - has some qualities as did Neil Kinnock.

But he is in danger of being seen by the voters as some kind of 'goofball' - rather than a potential Prime Minister.

I wish my Mum was still around to ask what she thinks - she would know the answer - I'm sure.

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!