Laugh Out Loud

My laugh out loud moment of last week was down to Giles Coren - a journalist who lives in suburban London - but who was up in Scotland making a TV programme.

Giles was apparently leafing through the Scottish editions of national newspapers - hoping for inspiration to write his own column - when a particular story caught his attention.

"One story caught my eye. And then my stomach. For it is a story the like of which I have never seen in England, and I hesitate to repeat it.

No I don't. It's about a brother and a sister caught having sex in a lift at Motherwell railway station. When I first saw it I read on merrily, waiting for the bit where they turn out to be step-siblings who met as adults and one thing led to another. But, no.

Richard and Kirsty Finlayson, 21 and 18 respectively, are natural siblings who grew up together, got drunk and did it in a station lift. Twice. And got caught on CCTV.

Kirsty called it "a moment of madness". Like a student in the August riots whose been done for grabbing a toaster out of Argos.

The story developed over the week I spent here, and by Thursday we were getting Kirsty's boyfriends' story. Andrew, 21, from Lanark told reporters: I didn't know anything was wrong until we went to court and I heard everything being read out. Kirsty had told me she was up for hitting or stabbing someone with a bottle." Just normal Motherwell nice girl stuff, in other words.

I have been thinking about it for days. Wondering what I might write about it. A brother and sister. Drunk. Bored. A cold railway station. Nipping into the urine-stinky lift for a quick....."

Now I very much doubt that many, if any, effete London journalists have ever been to Motherwell - or visited Motherwell railway station for that matter.

But Giles Coren's piece was still my laugh out loud moment of the week - the whole situation was absurd - but the boyfriend's comment just tipped me over the edge.

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!