Hunt for Tony Blair

I watched the much anticipated return of the Comic Strip Presents last night - and their latest offering - 'The Hunt for Tony Blair'.

I'm sad to say that it wasn't at all funny.

More like a bunch of public schoolboys being let loose with a good idea - which came unstuck because they were trying to make an all too obvious political point.

Only people with a love of Alfred Hitchcock films - combined with the knowledge of a political anorak - would have followed what was going on.

I enjoyed Ford Kiernan's performance as as deranged - 'Don't call me psychotic' - Gordon Brown - who pursued his nemesis relentlessly - in an ill-fitting suit, gruff Glasgow accent and cheap wig.

Apart from that there was nothing that made me laugh out loud.

And I was puzzled about identity of the drunken union leader who was thrown off the train - was that supposed to be Arthur Scargill?

Because if so it didn't make any sense - since Arthur Scargill is famously teetotal.

The writers set out to prove that they were more liberal and 'left-wing' than Tony Blair - but I don't think we really needed a TV programme to tell us that.

For satire to work - it has to contain a ring of truth - a sense of the ridiculous is simply not enough.

I'm just glad it wasn't made by the BBC - since that would have been a terrible waste of public money.

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence