Bargain Basement

A regular reader has been in touch about unwanted overtures from her former trade union - Unite.

Apparently Unite keeps asking the reader to sign up as a retired union member - at the bargain basement rate of only 25p a month.

Here's what the reader had to say: 

"Dear Mark,

I finished work in March after working for the council for 22 years.

Since then I have had 3 letters and 3 phone calls from Unite asking me if I want to stay on as a member of the union for 25 pence a month.

Where were the trade unions when we put in our equal pay claims over 5 years ago?

They didnt want to know then, but they want to know me because all of a sudden they are  looking for money.

ML"

Now I couldn't have put this better myself.

Because the trade unions have behaved shamefully over equal pay - turning a blind eye to what was going on for years - instead of standing up for their low paid women members.

But I am intrigued by this knock down offer of union membership - what do retired Unite members get for just £3 a year?

Maybe this is just a way of boosting Unite's membership figures - which are used, for example,  to determine the union's voting strength - at the annual TUC and Labour party conferences

Does any of the 25 pence per month go towards Unite's Labour affiliation?

If so, I think we should be told - as should the members.

So if other any readers have information to share, drop me a note at: markirvine@compuserve.com

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence