Nice Outfit



A spectacular Hoopoe bird which I wrote about on the blog back in 2016!

  

Gill's Hoopoe (14/12/16)


One of the many things I discovered in reading AA Gill's obituary in The Times is that he left a stuffed Hoopoe behind in his London home.

Now I don't know why he kept a stuffed Hoopoe amongst his personal possessions, but it struck me that I might be one of the few people to know offhand what a Hoopoe is - a rather odd looking yet beautiful bird which can be found across Afro-Eurasia.

I know this because I saw one win Spain recently and made a point of finding out what it was for myself - and its 'Sunday' names are Upupa and Epops which is Latin and Ancient Greek respectively for the Hoopoe.

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence