Fighting Against Fascism



Here's a photo of my Uncle Edmund during the Second World War and one of my Uncle Pat - two brothers from the same family who were involved in the fight against Hitler and fascism.



From what I remember of our family's history Edmund served in one of the Highland regiments (my cousin Paul has been in touch since to say it was the HLI - Highland Light Infantry) while Pat had a role in communications.

I remember Edmund and Pat with great fondness - they would both have laughed at being held up as 'heroes', yet the truth is that without people like Edmund and Pat the world we live in now would be a very different place.  

  


Family Photos (13/04/20)



Here's a photo of my grandmother, Mary Fitzgibbon, with her two oldest children and Edmund and Pat.

My uncle Edmund was the eldest child and four daughters followed after Pat: Kathleen, May, Sheila (my mother) and Nora.

A seventh child (a boy named Joseph) was stillborn, if I remember correctly.

Edmund and Pat both served during the Second World War - Edmund was a real character, full of fun and always brought a smile to your face; Pat was quieter and more reflective, but no less interesting to be with for all that. 

    

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence