To Have and To Hold

Tomorrow lots of public service workers in England and Wales will be going on strike - in a dispute over pensions.

Now this row affects different groups of workers in different ways.

At the moment some groups are better off than others - because some groups have much better pension arrangements that others.

So don't be fooled into thinking that this is an egalitarian fight for equal rights - or a battle to help the low paid - nothing could be further from the truth.

For some of the unions involved it is about 'to have and hold' - the much more favourable conditions enjoyed by the members that they represent.

So I thought I'd ask myself a few questions - about some of the key issues at stake in the dispute.

Do I support the retention of 'final salary' pension schemes?

No I don't - because they favour the better paid.

Do I support teachers and civil servants being allowed to retire at 60?

No I don't - because they are already much better paid than genuinely low paid workers who have to work on to at least 65.

Do I support an increase in the normal age of retirement?

Yes, I do - so long as it applies equally to everyone.

Do I support an increase in pension contributions for public service workers to help meet the costs of their pension schemes?

Yes, I do - but only for employees more than £20,000 a year because thay have been doing much better than their lower paid colleagues for many years.

Do I support a cap on the practice of paying tax free pension lump sums?

Yes, I do - lump sum payments should be limited to a maximum of £50,000 - at present these amounts are hugely inflated because of the 'final salary' scheme approach - and the payments involved are beyond the dreams of most workers.

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence