Mixed Messages

A minor row broke out the other day - when a Glasgow school advised parents not to dress their children in short skirts and tight trousers - because it could cause them to be targeted by paedophiles.

Now I'm sure the school meant well - but this advice seems completely bonkers to me - hence the reason that the story appeared in the press, I imagine.

I have been through all of this with my own children - and I am all in favour of schools having a sensible dress code - which enjoys the support of parents.

So I found myself agreeing with the Scottish Parent Teacher Council - which said that these "shock tactics" were not needed.

In its letter to parents, the school stated:

"We believe that an appropriate school uniform (eg school trousers, knee-length school skirt etc) protects children from being targeted by sexual predators.

There is recent evidence in the south of Glasgow of adults photographing school girls in short skirts and school girls/boys in tight trousers, then grooming them through the internet."

The Scottish Parent Teacher Council said the letter to parents was 'unwise' - which I agree with as well.

Because sexual predators and paedophiles are responsible for their own actions - they are not led on or encouraged by the way young people dress.

Going to and from school - or anywhere else.

The two issues are quite separate - and should remain that way.

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!