Right to Choose


Margo MacDonald - one of Scotland's few independent MSPs - is having another attempt at persuading the Scottish Parliament to legislate on the question of assisted suicide - or dying with dignity.

Good for her - I hope she is successful this time around - because I would certainly vote for her bill if it was put to the people in a referendum.

My starting point on this issue is whether or not people can envisage any circumstances under which it would be acceptable - for someone to end their own life.

Not someone who is depressed or on their own - but someone who has made a conscious and choice - often with the support of their family.  

Because if Margo's opponents can never envisage such a scenario - if there can never be enough sufficient safeguards - then it becomes a religious or moral argument.

Where one group is out to impose their religious beliefs and/or moral values - on their neighbours and fellow citizens. 

Yet people's morals are very different and not everyone is religious - of course.

So why should helping someone end their own life - if it has become intolerable to them - be regarded as a criminal offence?

Margo MacDonald's bill will give people who suffer from a terminal condition - the right to end their lives peacefully - at a time and in circumstances of their own choosing.

The fact that it's not for everyone is irrelevant - what's that got to do with anything.

The aim of Margo's bill is to build in proper safeguards at every stage - to ensure that the person's mind and wishes are clear - that they are not acting impulsively - that they are not depressed or coerced in any way, for example.

In certain circumstances the act of helping a loved one or friend to end their own life - is clearly an act of great human compassion - not one that should be regarded as a criminal offence.

Now assisted suicide may offend some people's religious sensibilities - but that's a different matter altogether - and if that's where Margo's opponents are coming from, then they should say so.

If I knew my life was going to end in 12 months time - I would want the ability to bring things to a conclusion - without hanging on to the very last moment.

As I can't envisage the circumstances at the moment - I can't say for certain what I would do - but I believe I should have the ability to choose.

And I would like to know that anyone supportive and loving enough to help me carry out my wishes - was not in danger of being branded a common criminal.

Simple really.

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!