No More Fence Sitting

North Lanarkshire Council
Another reader from North Lanarkshire has entered the fray - over the council's outstanding equal pay settlements - but this time by contacting the Labour party.

Here's what she had to say.

Can I ask where Labour stand in another matter, that of equal pay settlements?

I am currently pursuing a wage claim with North Lanarkshire Council (a Labour Council) but to date they have refused to pay out on equal pay claims (mainly from women) who for years have been underpaid.

Men doing an equivalent job have been awarded bonuses to boost their salary (although they seem to have been paid these bonuses just for turning up for work). the recent case of Wilkinson v City of Edinburgh Council has shown that these claims are valid and indeed some councils have started paying out, but not North Lanarkshire Council.

I have been a Labour supporter for years but am now considering NOT VOTING for Labour at the May elections as this stance by the local council has sickened me. I am also considering resigning from the Labour Party.

There are a large number of women voters who also feel the same as me. Given the last election numbers I would urge the Labour Party to look seriously at this matter as there are a lot of disgruntled people who are considering voting SNP or not voting at all as they cannot continue to support a party that doesn't support them when needed.

I look forward to your answer with interest

Yours sincerely


M"

Now it seems to me that these are all very reasonable points and questions to put to  Labour-led North Lanarkshire Council - which has no valid reason I can see for sitting on the fence - after all this time.

So I hope council leaders are listening - to the people they claim to represent.

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence