100% of Nothing


Many years ago I had the bad luck to use the 'services' of the Child Support Agency (CSA) - which I used both as an assessment service and as collection service - in respect of money I was entitled to receive.

But the CSA was without doubt the worst organisation I have ever come across - across the  whole of the public, private and voluntary sector.

I don't have single good word to say about the organisation which was - in my personal experience - useless, uncaring and hopelessly inefficient.

Apparently the organisation has changed - and it's about to undergo further reforms - in that people will be charged for using its services in future.

The idea is that if two parents cannot agree support arrangements voluntarily - then the CSA will step in do its best to resolve the situation - but in return will charge a fee for its services.

Now I don't have a problem with that - I have to say.

I would happily have paid the CSA a fee in the past - so long as this was tied to being paying for its perfromance - and getting a result.

Because the bottom line is that if the organisation is recovering money that you wouldn't otherwise receive - then how can paying a fee amount to a big deal.

The way I look at it is that 100% of nothing is still nothing - whereas 90% of what your due - can still come to a significant amount.

The proposed reforms have attraced some criticism in the House of Lords and elsewhere - which I understand but think are completely false.

The critics claim that some parents will not be able to afford an upfront fee - and may be put off using the CSA.

In which case why not take the upfront fee off the first payment that is recovered from an uncooperative parent - if and when there is genuine hardship involved.

What's the big deal?

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence