Caring for Older People



I watched a TV interview with some trade union person the other day - about the poor standard of care in NHS hospitals for older people suffering from dementia.

I think the chap was from the RCN - the Royal College of Nursing - but in any event he was a disgrace, a complete arse - in  my opinion.

The thrust of his argument was that if anyone was to blame it was 'unqualified staff' - in other words not RCN members of course - who are in the main trained and qualified nurses.

The other piece of nonsense stirred into the mix was the pressure on staff - the need for more resources - and the impact of spending cuts.

Now I have some exprience of this issue and I have to say that these ridiculous excuses for poor standards of care - are a complete disgrace. 

My mother was in and out of hospital while suffering from Alzheimer's for the few years before she died - and there is no doubt in my mind that the standard of care she received was very poor at times. 

Care as opposed to medical treatment - the two things are quite different.

My mum received much better 'care' in the residential home she lived in latterly - than she did in the local NHS hospital - where nurses and other staff were not always kind and considerate about her needs.

And this is long before any 'cuts' came into play - when spending in the NHS was galloping ahead - so the issue does not come down to resources.

What it comes down to is the attitude of staff - all staff - and whether they see an individual, someone's much loved mum or dad - or just another awkward old so and so - coming through the ward doors. 

Far too often it's the latter - and the solution is about changing the culture and providing leadership from the nurses in charge - not shifting the blame or trying to find a convenient scapegoat.

Now I've got that off my chest - I can get on with the rest of my day.

But these old-fashioned, defensive, inward looking trade union arguments - don't half get up my nose sometimes.

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!