Tastes Like Chicken

Say what you like - but you can find the most amazing information on the internet these days.

I thought I'd search for interesting culinary things to do with a seagull - and what do you know - cyberspace is full of interesting - or perhaps slightly crazy - people. 

The chap who says that the seagull he tasted - when marooned off Korea - tasted like raw fish - is presumably making the point that seagulls taste of what they eat.

Makes sense.

But if so so I'm definitely steering clear of anything that comes from Glasgow - as they'll definitely taste of yesterday's chips and half-eaten kebabs.

Having eaten seagull once when marooned off the coast of Korea, I can assure you that although it served to fill the void, It was definitely not a delicacy. It tasted like raw fish, as would be expected.

Ron C.

I gather that seagulls (esp. those of the black-headed type) used to be a delicacy in Britain in years gone by.

I remember reading a newspaper article many years ago in which it was mentioned that they used to keep the gulls caged and feed them nothing but oatmeal for several weeks in order to fatten them up and remove all traces of salt from their flesh.

Some of the breeds are as big as chickens, they're plentiful and they always seem to be well-fed - I'd be amazed if there were not places in the world that still exploit the birds as a food source.

My grandma also told me a story about how, during WWII, her dad returned home one evening with a brace of freshly-shot herring gulls to supplement the rations (apparently they were really greasy and tasted awful when prepared as chicken).

It's made me very curious indeed. I would be interested in learning some seagull recipes from different parts of the world and the correct way in which to prepare the meat. Also, if anyone here has eaten gull before, I would like to know their opinion of it...

Anyone able to help?

David H.

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence