Out of Order

I don't normally waste my time and energies on the Orange Order - by and large I find them too ridiculous for words.

But today's an exception - because apparently the Royal Black Institution (an elitist cousin of the Orange Order, so the papers say) - have applied to hold a march on the same day as a big football game at Celtic Park.

Now my first reaction is that only a group of self-important, apron-wearing men in bowler hats - could make up a daft name like the Royal Black Institution - it's like something out of a Monty Python sketch.

But my second reaction is just tell them where to get off - because the OO/RBI is simply out to cause trouble.

The police have enough on their plate - without having to divert scarce resources into this kind of nonsense.

Let them have their march another day - and better still charge the OO/RBI for the actual costs of policing these events.

Why should the council taxpayer pay through the nose - if the OO/RBI are so keen to exercise their democratic rights - let them pay the costs of policing themselves.

I, for one, object to my council tax being used for such a purpose.

The costs over the course of a full year are enormous - and the money involved would be better spent on other things - like fighting crime.

So Glasgow City Council will have my full support - in standing up to the bigots and loonies.

Time someone did.

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence