Tides of Men

Found the Tide




Missed the Tide
I'm going down to London next week - where I lived and worked (with NUPE) throughout the 1980s.

While I'm down there I will see my old friend - Eddy Coulson, a real-life Cockney Rebel - whom I've know for the best part of thirty years.

When I left London and came back to Scotland - Eddy gave me a lovely card - which I've kept all this time for some reason. The words say:

Whatever you do,
where you go,
please remember
you have a friend
who cares for you,
and misses you,
and wishes you the best.

To which Eddy added the following lines in his own handwriting from Shakespeare's play - Julius Caesar:

"There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.

On such a full sea are we now afloat,
And we must take the current when it serves,
Or loose our ventures.

For ever and for ever farewell.
If we do meet again .....why we shall smile.
If not ..........then this parting was well made."

We have met and parted again many times since.

Always on good terms I'm pleased to say - though not always entirely sober.

I'm sure we will do so again - but what fine words and beautiful sentiments - they could bring a tear to a glass eye.

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence