Co-op Bank


I said the other day that I would write a letter of complaint to the Co-op Bank over its financial support for the Labour Party - so here's a copy of the letter I sent by email to the Co-op Bank's chief executive, Niall Booker, the other day.

To my mind, banks should stay out of party politics - all banks not just the Co-op.

If individuals want to give their own money to the Labour Party or some other party, then that's up to them - and that's how it should be with the trade unions as well, if you ask me.    


Niall Booker
Chief Executive
Co-op Bank

Dear Niall

The Co-op and Party Politics

I am a customer (saver) with the Co-op Bank to which my account was transferred from the now defunct Britannia Building Society.


I am sure you have your hands full at the moment with the fall-out from this terrible Reverend Flowers business, but I would like to let you know how much I resent and disapprove of the Co-op Bank getting so heavily involved in party politics.


To my mind, it is completely wrong for the Co-op Bank to be giving 'soft loans' or financial donations to the Labour Party such as the £50,000 handed over recently to the office of Ed Balls MP, Labour's shadow chancellor. The money involved belongs to the Co-op's customers and, in my view, it is quite outrageous for the company's funds to be used in this way. 

I imagine the appointment of the Reverend Paul Flowers as Chairman of the Co-op Bank had something to do with his party political connections to the Labour Party and clearly this gentleman's out-of-control, hypocritical behaviour is doing considerable damage to the Co-op's public image.

So, I hope you will see the importance of putting your customers first and putting an end to these party political shenanigans, otherwise I will be taking my business elsewhere.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards



Mark Irvine

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!