Glasgow's Ugly Graffiti Problem

After reporting on the blog that I had been 'blanked' by Glasgow City Council after writing to the council leader, I received a reply from Cllr Aitken's office the very next working day.

So a step forward, I'm pleased to say, although I think there's a very long way to go before the Council has a proper strategy in place for tackling the problem.  

I'll have more to say in the days ahead, but if readers have any suggestions, drop me a note (in confidence) to: markirvine@compuserve.com 

 


Glasgow Graffiti and Kitchen Sinks (18/02/21)

I said in my post last Friday about Glasgow's ugly graffiti problem that I hadn't heard a 'cheep' from my local MP, Alison Thewliss.

But shortly after I published the post on the blog I finally heard from Alison's office which involved just passing on a desultory response from an official at Glasgow City Council.

Now the whole point of contacting a local MP (councillor or MSP for that matter) is to find out what they think - and ask for their support, preferably.

Because if they just act as postboxes, by passing the buck on to a council official, what is their role as an elected representative and why do we pay them such generous salaries from the public purse? 

In any event I was so disappointed with what my local MP had to say that I decided to respond as follows:

Dear Alison 

Glasgow Graffiti

I refer to the attached letter from your caseworker and my original correspondence dated 1 February 2021 regarding the problem of graffiti in Glasgow.

I have to say I am very disappointed at your response which does not explain when you wrote to Stephen Egan at Glasgow City Council or what you said to Mr Egan - presumably you just passed on my letter without explaining either the context or background which was a terrible waste of everyone's time.

I already know all about GCC's graffiti removal service which sparked my original letter to Susan Aitken who hasn't bothered to respond, but the graffiti I drew to the council leader's attention has nothing to do with Covid-19 or 'lockdown' and has been there (most of it at least) since before the current pandemic began. 

In my view the way to tackle the issue can only be via a council-wide, all party, multi-agency campaign which has the scope to target particular local hot spots.

Schools, community councils, property mangers, local businesses as well as local people all have a role to play and here's a good 'anti-litter' example from York City Council which could be adapted for a similar campaign around graffiti, fly-tipping dog fouling etc etc.

My concern is whether Glasgow City Council has the necessary powers to act if persuasion fails, eg in relation to the removal of graffiti is GCC able to intervene and pass the costs on via a building's property managers and owners? If not, surely local councils should have such powers?

I see from your Twitter account that you have been very active on social media recently and I would have thought this is the kind of issue for a local MP to take far more seriously, instead of sending meaningless enquiries to busy council officials.

I imagine Mr Egan and his colleagues would like to do more, but this requires political leadership in the first instance which was the point of my original letter to Susan Aitken.

For your information I have received a more encouraging response from the local MSP and from two out of the four local councillors for this area, but I am surprised at the lack of interest and leadership from other quarters.

Kind regards


Mark Irvine


I do get really fed up with politicians who bang on endlessly about their own pet hobbyhorses, including independence, yet have so little of substance to say about local 'kitchen sink' issues.  

Maybe next time I'll get a reply which doesn't waste my time and/or insult my intelligence. 


 


Glasgow Graffiti and Glasgow's Politicians (12/02/21)


I wrote to the leader of Glasgow City Council, Cllr Susan Aitken, a few weeks ago about the growing problem of graffiti in the city centre. 

I didn't receive the courtesy of a reply so I sent the following letter to my four local councillors and shared this with my local MSP and MP as well.

Two out of the four councillors responded which is good, but the other two didn't bother their backsides which is a concern, especially as they're all paid salaries these days - a minimum of £17,854 - to take up issues on behalf of local constituents.

Dear Cllrs (Connelly, Hepburn, Layden and O'Lone) 

Glasgow Graffiti

I wrote to the Council leader, Cllr Susan Aitken, over two weeks ago regarding the spread of graffiti in Glasgow city centre.

The same issue affects the Calton area of the city as well and I enclose some recent photos from in and around the local neighbourhood to illustrate the size and scale of the problem.

I have not received a reply from Cllr Aitken which is very disappointing, but I would like to know what strategy the Council is adopting to tackle this kind of anti-social behaviour and how local people can get involved.

I am writing in similar terms to all four councillors in the Calton ward and the local MSP and MP - John Mason and Alison Thewliss.

I look forward to your hearing from you and would be happy to discuss things further by phone or via a Zoom call.

Kind regards


Mark Irvine

My MSP also got back to me though I haven't heard a cheep from my local MP who must be preoccupied with 'more important' things.

Maybe I should do a quick check on social media and find out?

In any event I'll have more to say in the days ahead, so watch this space.

 



Mercat Cross Building 

Barrowland Park


London Road


Corner of Bell Street and Molendinar Street

Gallowgate



-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Irvine <markirvine@compuserve.com>
To: susan.aitken@glasgow.gov.uk <susan.aitken@glasgow.gov.uk>
Sent: Tue, Jan 12, 2021 12:07 pm
Subject: Glasgow Graffiti

Dear Cllr Aitken

Glasgow Graffiti

The city centre of Glasgow seems to have a growing problem with graffiti.

I wrote about this on my blog recently and illustrated the point with some recent photos from the area around Clyde Street, Glassford Street, Argyll Street and London Road - see post below dated 06 January 2021.

I am in the process of writing to my local councillors in the Calton ward which has its own problems, but the whole of the city centre is affected by this kind of anti-social behaviour and is the reason I am raising the issue directly with you as the Council Leader.

I would like to know what strategy the Council is developing to tackle the problem and how local people can play their part in stamping this out going forwards.    

Kind regards


Mark Irvine

  


Wake Up, Glasgow! (06/01/21) 

Glasgow city centre has a real and growing problem with graffiti - lots of buildings have been spray painted and the area around South Portland Street suspension bridge is a real eyesore these days. 

In my experience this kind of wanton vandalism just gets worse, if everyone turns an blind eye to the problem.

So I hope Glasgow council has a strategy for cleaning up the city's streets and for tracking down people who think this kind of moronic behaviour is just harmless fun.   









  



Glasgow, Graffiti and Scumbags (22/12/20)

Here's more idiotic graffiti that someone has sprayed on a building in London Road in the wake of Sunday's Scottish Cup final.

Has to be the same kind of moronic person who vandalised the Billy Connolly mural over in the Gallowgate.

 


Glasgow, Graffiti and Scumbags (25/06/20)



One of the three Billy Connolly murals in Glasgow has again been targeted by vandals. 



I have no idea why this mural in the Gallowgate should be singled out for such treatment because the other two remain unscathed, as far as I know.

The mentality of people who behave in this way is pretty unfathomable, but hopefully they will be caught and suitably punished.

 


Glasgow, Graffiti and Scumbags (12/06/18)



Every town and city has its fair share of scumbags and Glasgow is no exception.

Here's some evidence to demonstrate the point - one of Glasgow's three Billy Connolly murals defaced with juvenile graffiti by some mindless thug. 

I'm sure the local community must know the person responsible for this ugly, anti-social behaviour, so let's hope that someone does the right thing. 


  

Connolly 'Flabbergasted' (13/06/17)



How nice is this? - Billy Connolly is 'flabbergasted' at three new murals celebrating the Big Yin's life and times in his home city of Glasgow.

The murals are a 75th birthday present to Connolly, based on original portraits by the Scottish artists John Byrne, Jack Vettriano and Rachel MacLean.

I suspect it will be hard to pass by any of these buildings without thinking fondly of Connolly who is a great ambassador for Glasgow and Scotland - such a great tribute to one of the funniest men in the world.  

  

All Anarchists Are Bastards 2 (11/06/20)


The Glasgow Times reports that the 'looney tune' team behind ACAB (All Cops Are Bastards) have extended their activities to other memorials in the city.

Now this has nothing directly to do with anti-racist campaigns or Black Lives Matter - it's just a group of self-righteous pricks trying to hijack an important issue by spray painting a juvenile message of 'Fuck the Polis'.

 


https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/18506614.teams-rapid-removal-graffiti/

Teams in rapid removal of graffiti from Glasgow statues after BLM protests

By Stewart Paterson - Glasgow Times

Lord Roberts statue

Council teams have been cleaning up graffiti from statues after several across the city were targeted following anti racism protests in Glasgow.

Statues in George Square, Cathedral Square and Kelvingrove park were vandalised with slogans spray painted onto plinths

Three statues in Kelvingrove park were targeted.

Glasgow City Council said it was aware of the strong feelings towards links to slavery of certain individuals who have statues but cannot condone the vandalism of public monuments.

The bust of Thomas Carlyle at the bridge over the River Kelvin was sprayed.



Yards away on the opposite bank of the river, the memorial to the Highland Light Infantry was sprayed with BLM and an offensive anti police slogan.



At the top of the park at the Park Circus entrance the statue of Lord Roberts, who had led military in South Africa and India, was also sprayed with BLM.

In Cathedral Square the statue of King William III was also targeted with anti-police graffiti.

In George Square the statue of Robert Peel was daubed with paint and slogans.



The Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland condemned the vandalism and issued a statement along with a photograph of the damage to the King William Statue.

It said: “The Orange Order are rightly proud of the civil and religious liberties delivered by King William III that our citizens enjoy today.

“However civil rights and liberty come with a responsibility to act lawfully and uphold government medical advice not to gather publicly in order to protect lives.

“We call on the Leader of Glasgow City Council and the First Minister to condemn these offensive acts and provide Police Scotland with the necessary resource to protect our public memorials.”

The council condemned the vandalism and said work had already been started to look into how the city’s history with slavery is represented.

Council teams worked quickly on Sunday and Monday to remove the paint and return the statues to normal.



A spokesman for Glasgow City Council said: “The graffiti that appeared on statues in George Square, Kelvingrove Park and other places over the weekend has been removed or is in the course of being removed.

“We are acutely aware of the strength of feeling that exists over Glasgow’s links to trans-Atlantic slavery and the determination many have for change in how the city’s history should be regarded.

“We have commissioned an in-depth academic study on the city’s links to the historical slave trade and how that has shaped the streets, statues and buildings of modern Glasgow.

“The findings of this study will be put forward for consultation and the public’s voice will be heard on how the city should respond.

“We cannot condone damage to public property and our community safety teams will link with police on how further damage can be avoided, including through the use of CCTV.”


All Anarchists Are Bastards (09/06/20)



Here's a message from a group which operates under the acronym of ACAB - All Cops Are Bastards.

ACAB would have us believe that policing is fundamentally violent, corrupt, oppressive and beyond reform - and their poster ends with the announcement that the police are the 'enemy of the people'.

Now I have my criticisms of Police Scotland, but this seems a tad 'over the top' to me so I'm going to start up my own rival group which I plan to call AAAB (All Anarchists Are Bastards).

In the meantime, I would like Glasgow City Council to remove this juvenile street graffiti and chuck it in the bin - because it's definitely not worth preserving.

 

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence