Members Left in the Lurch

Lots readers have been in touch recently to complain that a trade union has made a complete mess of their equal pay claims. Here's a typical tale:

"I have been a trade union member for many years.

I took up an equal pay claim via my local union branch - for a long time heard nothing and just assumed all was well - that my case simply taking a long time to reach a conclusion.

Then out of the blue, I was told that my case would not be proceeding - because the union hadn't actually registered my case with the Employment Tribunals - and as a result my claim is now time-barred.

In other words, the case can't proceed because the union, or someone acting for the union, dropped the ball.

But why should I pay the price when the union is clearly at fault - not me.


Can Action 4 Equality Scotland help?

Well the answer that it depends on the circumstances of each case.


But if you've been let down in this way - contact Mark Irvine at: markirvine@compuserve.com

If I can help, I will - but what I need first of all are the bare facts of the case:

1
What exactly happened?

2 When did this happen - include all the key dates?

3 Have you kept any paperwork or documents from the union?

4 Have you already complained to the union and if so, what was their response?

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence