Pro Patria Mori

Over the years there have been plenty of wars and military adventures - which have never enjoyed my support - enthusiastic or otherwise.

Equally, there have been times when I though that the civilised world should have intervened - to stop genocide in its tracks.

Rwanda being a prime example - where the world stood by - and watched tribal slaughter take place in Africa on a biblical scale - despite the presence of UN troops.

On Remembrance Sunday I always think of my two uncles - Edmund and Pat - who served in and survived the Second World War - including the British army's desperate retreat from Dunkirk.

I don't slavishly wear a poppy - and feel no need to wear my heart on my sleeve - though I always make a donation to the British Legion.

I heard some crazy person on the radio the other day - saying that she had refused to wear a poppy ever since she spotted Tony Blair wearing one at some memorial service - this apparently drove the poor woman over the edge.

How bonkers is that?

Wearing a poppy is not a statement of someone's support for wars - past, present or future.

But simply a sign of respect for those who have served in the armed forces - especially those killed and badly injured.

On this day of all days - we should remember the sacrifice these men and women made - nothing more or less.

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence