The political establishment in Scotland is now dominated by the Scottish National Party (SNP):
- The First Minister of the Scottish government, Nicola Sturgeon, is the leader of the SNP
- The First Minister appoints all other Scottish government ministers and wields considerable executive power
- The First Minister's husband, Peter Murrell, is the Chief Executive of the SNP and has been for 20 years
- The Chair of the Scottish Parliament's inquiry into the Alex Salmond affair (Linda Fabiani) is Deputy Presiding Officer and an SNP MSP
- A key figure in the Scottish Parliament's inquiry into the Alex Salmond affair is himself a former First Minister and leader of the SNP
Maybe it would be better to have a judge led inquiry aided and abetted, where necessary, by Police Scotland because as things stand the process is bringing the Scottish Parliament into terrible disrepute.