North Lanarkshire Update



More readers comments on the late-running job evaluation (JE) review in North Lanarkshire Council.

I agree with K the unions lack of support for their members is truly shocking

The number of workers that have missed out on their equal pay claims are absolutely disgraceful and k is correct mark if it hadn't been for yourself and a4e there would have been hundreds of other workers would have been in the same boat!


The sheer arrogance of the collective unions and NLC in the way that they are all patting themselves on the back is simply breathtaking 

I really hope there's a mass exodus of members from their unions because at the end of the day they're paying money for nothing!


L


Oh that old fable of trade unions doing the work for you....my union who I pay religiously lost/misplaced my original claim ( almost 3 yr ago it was sent in) and the lovely lady on phone said to me to prove it....and it was their word against mine....end of!!!! I am still fighting through lawyers. ...Union....don't make me laugh....


A


I've no idea what the (union) post actually means. 


G


My advice to people raising queries with their trade unions is to do so in writing and ask that the union rep avoids using a lot of gobbledegook and legal sounding jargon in their response.




NLC Update (18/06/16)


I said the other day that I thought it rather odd that the trade unions in North Lanarkshire were not balloting their members over the question of the late-running job evaluation (JE) review.

Then I remembered that the unions did exactly this back in 2014 over some relatively minor potential changes to the pay and grading structure.

But if this was good enough two years ago I wonder why the trade unions are not so keen about asking members for their support in 2016?

If you ask me, the members who pay their union dues in North Lanarkshire are entitled to a proper explanation as to why such double standards in the case of the JE review.


Union Ballot (29/06/14)



Lots of readers from North Lanarkshire have been in touch regarding the trade union ballot on proposed changes to the Council's pay and grading structure.

In my view, is that there is absolutely no need for a ballot at this stage especially as settlement talks with the Council are about to get underway.

So, as I said on the blog site the other day if I were a union member, I would vote No to any further changes to the Council's pay and grading structure until I could see the big picture - which includes how the Council intends to settle all the outstanding equal pay claims.

Simple, really.

On a wider note a programme of meetings has now been arranged to pursue settlement talks with North Lanarkshire Council and everyone is focused on achieving a fair and just outcome.

For obvious reasons (just as in South Lanarkshire) there will not be a running commentary on these discussions, but if they do not produce a satisfactory agreement then all the cases will go straight back to the Employment Tribunal. 
  

Union Ballot - Vote No! (26 June 2014)




I have now seen the union 'ballot' documents which I mentioned yesterday - they are from Unite but the GMB and Unison may have similar plans.

In any event, my suspicions have been confirmed because there's no doubt in my mind that the union is up to no good if they are recommending changes to the pay and grading structure while important settlement talks are underway.

If you ask me, it makes absolutely no sense unless the union is trying to do the Council a 'favour' - and why would they do that when thousands of equal pay claims remain unresolved.

The Unite documents says that most people will be slightly better off as a result of the proposed changes, but what they don't explain is what people stand to gain if they leave things as they are until all the outstanding equal pay claims are settled.

Unbelievably, the covering letter from Unite (which is recommending acceptance) says:

"We have a clause in the Agreement which allows the proposals to be revised if current Equal Pay Employment Tribunals throw up any issues" 

But exactly what does this 'mumbo jumbo' mean - who would be daft enough to trust the Council in the present situation and why don't member's have a copy of the proposed Agreement so they can see what it says for themselves? 

So if I were a union member in North Lanarkshire I would be voting No and kicking up hell at the union holding a ballot when lots of people are going on holiday and without any answers to all the ongoing issues to do with equal pay.

And isn't it odd that there's been no information from the Council (who is after all the employer) about what's going on?

If you ask me, the union are not being completely straight with its own members and is in real danger of doing the employer's dirty work.  


Stop Press! (25 June 2014)



A reader from North Lanarkshire has been in touch to say that she has received ballot papers from her trade union about a new pay and grading structure within the Council.

Now I haven't seen the documents as yet, but I find it highly suspicious that a trade union should be conducting a ballot about new pay arrangements and term-time arrangements when there are so many issues unresolved from the ongoing Employment Tribunal.

If you ask me, the timing is also completely mad as the schools are now breaking-up for the summer holidays which means that people are unable to discuss what's going on at their workplaces, as normal. 

I am making arrangements to see these papers although if anyone can scan and email them to me, that would help speed things up - markirvine@compuserve.com

In the meantime, if I were a trade union member in North Lanarkshire I would certainly not be voting to support or bring in any new changes at this pint in time. 

Instead I would insist that the Council is required to explain how it intends to settle all the outstanding equal pay claims and address the evident failings in its job evaluation scheme (JES) which have been exposed so brutally at the ongoing Employment Tribunal.

Remember the Employment Tribunal has only been suspended to allow settlement discussions to take place and will start up again in late August/September 2014 if agreement is not reached.  

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!