SLC Update (23/09/15)



I'm still reading the witness statement prepared by the local Unison branch secretary, Stephen Smellie, in connection with the long running Employment Tribunal case against South Lanarkshire Council (SLC), which SLC lost of course. 

Since then I've been made aware that Mr Smellie objected strongly to criticism directed at him, as branch secretary, for giving evidence at the tribunal and he tried to explain this away (according to the minutes of the branch council) by saying that he was compelled to attend because the Council served him with a witness order.

Now the crucial point for me is not whether Mr Smellie gave evidence to the tribunal hearing, willingly or otherwise, because I gave evidence myself, albeit in a way which supported the claimants to the hilt, many of whom were union members of course.

So the crucial point is not whether Mr Smellie gave evidence, but what he had to say - did he know, for example, what he was talking about and did he stand up for the interests of union members who were fighting for equal pay?

I'll let you know what I think soon.

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!