Battle Over Brexit

 

A timely and topical post from the blog site archive - in December 2016 Boris Johnson was Foreign Secretary rather than Prime Minister, but his grasp of European trade was still just as poor.

  


Battle Over Brexit (05/12/16)




The battle over 'Brexit' shifted focus to the Supreme Court today, but the real fight is over the terms on which the UK will continue to trade with its European neighbours.

I though the issues were summarised well in a reported conversation between Carlo Calenda, Italy's economic development minister and Boris Johnson, the UK's foreign secretary.

Calenda recalled their exchange as follows:

Johnson: "I don’t want free movement of people but I want the single market." 

Calenda. “I said, ‘No way." 

Johnson: "You’ll sell less prosecco.’ 

Calenda: "I said, OK, you’ll sell less fish and chips, but I’ll sell less prosecco to one country and you’ll sell less to 27 countries.’ 

Game, set and match to the Italian minister, if you ask me.

  

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence