Rob Ford: 1969-2016

Former mayor Rob Ford, who was diagnosed with a rare cancer in 2014, would have turned 47 on May 28.


The newspapers report that Rob Ford, the former Mayor of Toronto, died yesterday at the young age of just 46 after battling a rare form of cancer.

I has a soft spot for the man, I have admit, because he stood his ground and defended himself when other politicians in his position would have simply cut and run.


Facing the Music (16/11/13)


I turned on the TV the other day and found myself watching live coverage on Sky News of the embattled Mayor of Toronto - Rob Ford - defending himself against fellow council members who were queueing hop to give him a good verbal 'kicking' over allegations of illegal drug use, crack cocaine to be precise.

Contrary to all my expectations I came away with a degree of admiration for the Mayor, who clearly has some big personal problems, because instead of hiding away and refusing to answer his critics Rob Ford stood his ground, apologised profusely for his and said he would not be resigning his office. 

Let the voters of determine his fate at forthcoming elections - on the basis of his record as Mayor - was Rob Ford's defiant battle cry, and you know what - I respect the man for not rolling up into a ball or hiding under the duvet.


As far as I know, the Mayor has not hurt or injured anyone other than himself through his out of control behaviour which occurred during his private life - not while on official duties - so I think he has a point, particularly as Ford has sought counselling and support in fighting his demons.


To my mind that's something to admire rather than condemn - and the Mayor's behaviour is, arguably, no better or worse that other UK politicians I could mention.


Lord John Prescott springs to mind - the former Deputy Prime Minister was exposed as having an affair with a junior (female) member of his staff which clearly compromised his working relations - yet instead of resigning his position the old sea dog clung on to office (stripped of many of his responsibilities) while the woman's civil service career came to a shuddering end.


Fair or what?               


Another example would be the former leader of Glasgow City Council, Stephen XXXX, who resigned his position abruptly in the face of damaging allegations about alcohol and drug abuse - and went immediately to ground instead of facing his critics.

Now maybe Stephen, a politician I had a lot of time for, was in no position to defend himself - maybe there was more to come out, I don't know - but if the problems did not cross over into his public life, then to me it was not necessarily a resigning matter especially if he was getting help and treatment.


So we'll se what happens to Rob Ford, time will tell, but I came away with a grudging respect for the man - which was not at all what I expected.


Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!