My Life, My Choice

Image result for my life my death my choice

Here's a letter I sent to my local MSP John Mason on the Assisted Suicide (Scotland) Bill which is being considered in the Scottish Parliament tomorrow.

Now this is a big test for Scottish MSPs who like to think that they are more in touch with the views of the electorate than their colleagues south of the border.

So we shall see if out elected representatives reflect the clear will of a majority of the Scottish people in their deliberations on the draft Bill and if Scotland's MSPs lack the courage to make the right decision, then let's put the matter to a referendum.     

Because if the Bill does not ultimately succeed then the Scottish Parliament and its MSPs are not reflecting the will and wishes of the people and that is something that will influence my vote when it comes to next year's Holyrood elections.


Dear John

Assisted Suicide (Scotland) Bill

I have been following the debate around assisted suicide in the Scottish Parliament and understand that MSPs are due to have a first vote on a draft Bill this week.

I feel very strongly about this issue along with lots of other people, as I'm sure you know. 

I hope very much that you will stand up for the views of your local constituents and those of a big majority of people in Scotland who believe the time has come for a change in the law and, subject to proper safeguards, that the actions of a person who helps a loved one to end their own life should be decriminalised.

For me this is a matter of individual choice and personal freedom. At the moment I have no idea how my life might end, yet if things became intolerable for me I would wish to have the right and ability to end my life at a time of my own choosing, as opposed to being completely overwhelmed by some terrible condition or terminal illness that robs me of my humanity and dignity.

I am not a religious person in any way, but my mother was and I am proud to say that my Mum was a committed Christian who also believed strongly in changing the law on assisted suicide.

I respect the religious beliefs of fellow Scots although I think it is monstrously unfair and arrogant that the law continues to criminalise the actions of other citizens who do not share the view that human life can only begin or end by the will of an all-powerful Supreme Being.

For me this is not so far removed from the behaviour of early Christian missionaries in Africa who imposed their religious teachings and doctrines on the local tribes and indigenous people, whether they liked it or not, because they (i.e.the missionaries) knew what was 'good' for their eternal souls, whether the local people believed in eternal souls or not. 

Thankfully things have now moved on these days, in many parts of the world at least. 

So I am asking you to support a change in the law, to do the right thing, and vote to decriminalise the actions of a person who agrees to help a loved one or family member take control  as their life is coming to an end, in a peaceful manner and at a time of their own choosing.   

Kind regards



Mark Irvine

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!