So Long Marianne



Leonard Cohen wrote a beautiful letter to Marianne Ilsen, the inspiration behind one of his most famous songs 'So Long Marianne', when he learned that his one-time muse and lover was approaching her death. 
Apparently the letter was read to Marianne who slipped into unconsciousness and died soon after she heard the following words: 
“Marianne it’s come to this time when we are really so old and our bodies are falling apart and I think I will follow you very soon. Know that I am so close behind you that if you stretch out your hand, I think you can reach mine.

“And you know that I’ve always loved you for your beauty and your wisdom, but I don’t need to say anything more about that because you know all about that. But now, I just want to wish you a very good journey. Goodbye old friend. Endless love, see you down the road.”


I got the chance to hold my Mum's hand and say goodbye before she died, and I like to think it meant a lot to her as well as me.

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!