A Fond Memory

 

I was driving in Catalonia recently and came across this lovely tree standing proudly on the edge of a field full of yellow flowers, bordered by wild red poppies.

Now the tree made such an impact on me that I had to get out of my car and take a couple of photos, but only later did it dawn on me why this tree had stopped me in my tracks.

The reason is that it reminded me of a scene from one of my favourite movies, The Shawshank Redemption, in which the lead character Andy Dufresne, played by Tim Robbins, stands up to relentless bullying he experiences in Shawshank prison at the hands of officials and fellow inmates, following his incarceration for a crime Andy did not commit.

Against all the odds Andy retains his sanity and integrity, and eventually stages a truly incredible escape, but in the process he fulfils a promise to a fellow inmate called 'Red' (played by Morgan Freeman) who befriends Andy during his darkest days.

Red is due to be released from prison after serving 40 years behind bars, but Andy believes that his old friend will be unable to cope with his new found freedom in the outside world, after so many years in the brutal environment of Shawshank State Penitentiary.

So without explaining his plans fully Andy gets Red to promise that after his release, Red will visit a specific location where a surprise package will be waiting for him, buried in a wall under the shade of an unmistakable and beautiful Oak tree

The surprise package waiting for Red includes money and details of how to find Andy who is by now leading an idyllic life in a quiet town on the coast of Mexico.

Shawshank Redemption is a powerful tale about unconditional love, friendship, loyalty and integrity - and I remember discussing what made it such a powerful film with my young brother Kevin when I visited him in Whistler a few years back.  

And isn't it great that such a fond memory of Kevin could be inspired by a tree in the middle of nowhere, in the heart of the Catalan countryside.



Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!