Operation Clean Up Glasgow!

Does anyone know if there's a council 'complaints hotline' for Operation Clean Up Glasgow? 

If so, I'm happy to share and promote the details on my blog, but Glaswegians won't be impressed if this is just a gimmick for the benefit of politicians in the run up to COP26. 




 



 


Don't Be A Tosser! (July 18, 2021)

Why doesn't Glasgow City Council show some civic leadership and imagination by running an anti-litter campaign like this one from York?

Operation 'Clean Up Glasgow' needs to be about more than politicians strutting their stuff in the run up to the COP26 climate change conference in OctoberNovember. 

 

Glasgow, Politicians and Street Graffiti (March 11, 2021)


I meant to add something to my recent post about estate agents making Glasgow's street graffiti problem worse with their ugly, ubiquitous advertising signs. 

The points being that all the photos in the post below come from Glasgow's Trongate - just a stone's throw from the office of my local Westminster MP, Alison Thewliss.

I wrote to Alison recently about graffiti in the city centre only to receive what I regarded as a 'tin ear' response which missed the point entirely (see post below dated 18/02/21).

What gets my goat about Glasgow's constituency MPs and MSPs (all of whom are SNP) is that they always have plenty to say about independence, but so little to say about the bread and butter issues local people really care about including: anti-social behaviour, drug taking, drunkenness, vandalism, graffiti and the city's general lack of cleanliness.

    

Glasgow's Street Graffiti (3) (05/03/21)

Street graffiti can take different forms and one of the things that gets my goat are all these estate agent signs which get stuck up all over Glasgow city centre.

Free advertising is the reasons, I suppose, but why don't our local politicians and Glasgow city council take these estate agents to task?







   


Glasgow Graffiti and Kitchen Sinks (18/02/21)

I said in my post last Friday about Glasgow's ugly graffiti problem that I hadn't heard a 'cheep' from my local MP, Alison Thewliss.

But shortly after I published the post on the blog I finally heard from Alison's office which involved just passing on a desultory response from an official at Glasgow City Council.

Now the whole point of contacting a local MP (councillor or MSP for that matter) is to find out what they think - and ask for their support, preferably.

Because if they just act as postboxes, by passing the buck on to a council official, what is their role as an elected representative and why do we pay them such generous salaries from the public purse? 

In any event I was so disappointed with what my local MP had to say that I decided to respond as follows:

Dear Alison 

Glasgow Graffiti

I refer to the attached letter from your caseworker and my original correspondence dated 1 February 2021 regarding the problem of graffiti in Glasgow.

I have to say I am very disappointed at your response which does not explain when you wrote to Stephen Egan at Glasgow City Council or what you said to Mr Egan - presumably you just passed on my letter without explaining either the context or background which was a terrible waste of everyone's time.

I already know all about GCC's graffiti removal service which sparked my original letter to Susan Aitken who hasn't bothered to respond, but the graffiti I drew to the council leader's attention has nothing to do with Covid-19 or 'lockdown' and has been there (most of it at least) since before the current pandemic began. 

In my view the way to tackle the issue can only be via a council-wide, all party, multi-agency campaign which has the scope to target particular local hot spots.

Schools, community councils, property mangers, local businesses as well as local people all have a role to play and here's a good 'anti-litter' example from York City Council which could be adapted for a similar campaign around graffiti, fly-tipping dog fouling etc etc.

My concern is whether Glasgow City Council has the necessary powers to act if persuasion fails, eg in relation to the removal of graffiti is GCC able to intervene and pass the costs on via a building's property managers and owners? If not, surely local councils should have such powers?

I see from your Twitter account that you have been very active on social media recently and I would have thought this is the kind of issue for a local MP to take far more seriously, instead of sending meaningless enquiries to busy council officials.

I imagine Mr Egan and his colleagues would like to do more, but this requires political leadership in the first instance which was the point of my original letter to Susan Aitken.

For your information I have received a more encouraging response from the local MSP and from two out of the four local councillors for this area, but I am surprised at the lack of interest and leadership from other quarters.

Kind regards


Mark Irvine



I do get really fed up with politicians who bang on endlessly about their own pet hobbyhorses, including independence, yet have so little of substance to say about local 'kitchen sink' issues.  

Maybe next time I'll get a reply which doesn't waste my time and/or insult my intelligence. 


 


 

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence