Foul Creatures

Seagull flying over Brighton beach. Photograph: Davis McCardle/Getty Images
Seagull flying over Brighton beach. Photograph: Davis McCardle/Getty Images
A regular reader drew my attention to this seagull enquiry which appeared in The Guardian the other day - so I decided to respond. 
What is the point of seagulls? If they were made extinct, would mankind or the ecological balance be affected?
Hilary Shenken, Isleworth
My answer to Hilary Shenken is that the world would be a much better place if these birds were to become extinct because they are foul and aggressive, noisy and smelly, and serve no useful purpose unlike other 'feathered friends' which have a beautiful birdsong or play a role in helping to maintain the ecological balance in the countryside, hawks and other raptors for example. 
Seagulls in Glasgow, where I live, have virtually no connection with the sea and are a vile city centre menace and quite why they are a 'protected species' is truly one of life’s great mysteries. 
I would vote them out of existence tomorrow if I could and maybe, one day, I’ll get my way. 
Mark Irvine, Glasgow

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!