Power to the People


If there were to be a referendum on Europe tomorrow, I would vote for the UK to remain a member.

If there had been a referendum five years ago, when a Labour government was in power, I would have done the same thing.

And if there is a referendum in five years time, I will almost certainly vote the same way - if Scotland has not already voted for independence by that time - I should add, of course.

Because, broadly speaking, I am very much in favour of the UK's membership of the European Union (EU) - even if many of the institutions of the EU, such as the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP), seem to be way out of control.

But I would like to asked my opinion - every now and then at least.

Because there's not been a vote on the UK's relationship with Europe during my adult voting lifetime - and I believe the country could do with a bit more democracy - not less.

To my mind the professional politicians - at all levels - have too much power concentrated in their hands and it's time some of the big decisions were asked directly of the voters - otherwise the politicians have a tendency to be complacent and arrogance, often at the same time.

So, for example, I would like to see two questions on the ballot paper for the forthcoming 2014 referendum on independence for Scotland - seems like a perfectly good idea to me and most other Scots, if all the opinion polls are to be be believed.

Not in the least confusing either - lots of people and organisations ask me two or more questions every day, somtimes in quick succession - and I'm never confused about what to say or how to respond.

Yet the professional politicians - of all the big parties I have to concede - have conspired to restrict the 2014 ballot to just one single question.

I would support local referendums that allow local voters to recall their MPs or MSPs in the light of alleged bad behaviour - and I seem to recall all parties were agreed on that particular proposal in the wake of the MPs expenses scandal at Westminster.

Strange that it seems to have fallen off the parliamentary agenda - just like the proposal to cut the number of Westminster MPs from 650 to 600 has taken something of a back seat as well.

I would also support a local referendum for councils in Scotland wishing to increase the local council tax - so that they would have to have the active support of local voters before spending even more of their money. 

The point is that in this very modern day and age it should be easier, quicker and inexpensive for direct democracy to have its say - alongside our elected parliaments and other forms of government.

Seems like a 'no brainer', if you ask me.

Because after many years as an active participant, I have come to the view that democracy is far too important - too easy to manipulate - to be left to a class of professional politicians.

More power to the people, if you like.

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence