Glasgow - What a way to run a railroad!



I remain locked in battle with Glasgow City Council (GCC) over an ongoing programme of works to improve the local environment by replacing kerbstones and re-laying the public footpaths in my part of the city centre.

Now just about everybody, including their uncles and their grannies, seem to be included in this programme except, oddly, the area outside the building where I live.

Could it possibly be something I've said or done? - who knows, but it's mighty strange to say the least. 

In any event, Council officials seem extraordinarily reluctant to explain and justify their decisions, perhaps because I've asked for:

  • a face-to-face meeting
  • a site visit to view the evidence first hand 
  • a copy of the original Council report/recommendations    
What a way to run things if you ask me, because good local government is about local democracy - involving local people in council decision-making, instead of treating us with disdain, as if we're just a nuisance.

So here's a selection of photos to illustrate that the problem is not a 'lack of resources', but the Council's attitude towards the very people whom it exists to help, serve and support.

McKinnon's Bar - new crossing point and kerbstones



Barrowland Park - looking good!



The Untouchables - new crossing point and kerbstones

    
Billy Connolly Mural - The 'Big Yin' gets a spruce up


Glasgow's famous 'Sarry Heid' bar - even the Sarry Heid!


The Gallowgate - lovely new pavement and kerbstones


Across from The Barrowlands - work in progress.


Road to nowhere in the Gallowgate - no expense spared!


More to follow soon.

 


Glasgow City Council (06/02/20)



I am used to talking about Glasgow City Council in relation to equal pay, but I've had my own reasons to contact the Council recently, as a local citizen, and my experience has been far from good, I'm sad to say.

The Council has been replacing the kerbstones and re-laying the footpath along London Road, where I live, which is 'fair do's' as they say because this kind of work has also been carried out in other parts of the city centre, notably in the Merchant City and around The Barras.

In passing, I should mention that the upgrading works in the Merchant City and around The Barras used much better materials with no expense being spared on very high quality paving stones, for example.



Anyway to cut a long story short, the week before Christmas I noticed the Council's contractor had missed out a small section of the footpath outside our building even though the kerbstones were all old and worn, and the pavement had been dug up on numerous occasions previously (a common problem).

In other words the kerbstones and footpaths along the this particular part of London Road are/were in exactly  the same condition as our neighbours.



Yet all these weeks later I am challenging the Council to explain how it can justify treating one small part of the city centre so very differently from the rest of the local area.

If you ask me this is not good, efficient or responsive  local government - emails have had to be chased up, the relevant council officials seem reluctant to meet to explain their actions and instead of 'opening up' the Council has closed ranks, so far at least. 

No wonder I resent having to spend so much of my time and energy in trying to fix a mess of the Council's own making.

 

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!