Gay Marriage


I just listened to a spokesperson from the Catholic Church banging on - in furious fashion - about the Government's plans to allow gay marriage ceremonies to take place in church.

'The Catholic Church represents 5 million people in the UK', claimed the spokesperson - as the top of his head almost blew off - and the Catholic Church had submitted a very detailed response opposing the Westminster Government's consultation paper on gay marriage. 

So why wasn't the Government listening to the Catholic Church?' - the spokesperson wanted to know.

'Why was it riding roughshod over democracy - and imposing its will on the people?', the chap continued - barely pausing for breath.

Well I can hazard a guess because while I'm not a religious person - my dear old mother was - in fact she was a good and decent member of the Catholic Church - throughout of her life.

But she never gave two hoots about the church's teachings - when it came to contraception or a woman's right to choose whether to have a abortion.

Nor did she agree with the Catholic Church - or any other church for that matter - over the sensitive issue of assisted dying since she believed that people should always have control over their own lives - even at the point of facing their own death.   

Because my mother thought the church was wrong to try and impose its moral values or religious teachings on people - whether people were true believers or non-believers.

So I take my hat off to the Governments at Westminster and Holyrood - because if two gay people want to get married in church - and an enlightened member of the clergy or priesthood - is willing to marry the said two people.

Then what's the big deal?

None I would say - and I'm sure my dear old mum would have agreed.

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence