Smoke on the Water


A big fire broke out in Govan yesterday near the banks of the River Clyde which resulted in this huge smoke cloud which drifted over the whole of Glasgow during the late afternoon.

For some reason this reminded me of a holiday I had when I was 15 years old - I travelled to America  on my own to visit my Uncle Bob (my father's brother) who had settled in Cleveland, Ohio, and I spent two or three weeks there with my cousins: Craig, Nancy and Helen.

I remember one popular song that was played over and over again during my stay - 'Smoke on the Water' by Deep Purple and this was delivered via the latest, but now defunct 8-track sound system.

As well as hanging out in Cleveland with my cousins who had a pool in their garden (which seemed incredible to me at the time) we visited Cape Hatteras, a beautiful nature reserve on the coast of North Carolina.

And all those fond memories came from a scrapyard fire in Glasgow.



 

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence