Pipe Smoking


I saw a man smoking a pipe the other day which stopped me in my tracks for a second - because it's a long time since I remember seeing anyone do such a thing because pipe smoking is so passé these days.

Years ago, lots of people smoked a pipe - my Dad did, but I think only when he was trying to give up his 80 a day smoking habit - which killed him anyway as he fell victim to lung cancer.

Sherlock Holmes smoked a pipe, a Meerschaum if I recall correctly, which made him look thoughtful and serious, so too did Albert Einstein - the brainiest man to have graced the earth in the last 100 years.

Although these days a pipe just looks ridiculous - you might as well be walking along the road drinking tea from a cup and saucer, for all the sense it makes. 

Yet it brought back a memory and put a smile on my face - for reasons I cannot even begin to understand.    

Life, as they say, is very strange.

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence