Catch the Moments


Ever since the sudden death of my younger brother, Kevin, I have been thinking carefully about what I am doing - and what I plan to do with the rest of my life.

In recent times I've put off or delayed all kinds of projects and plans - for one reason or another - but mostly because of my work on equal pay.

So after weighing things up over the past few weeks - I have finally decided that it's time to move on and do something different in future - time to recharge the batteries.

Because for the past seven years the fight for equal pay and my work with Action 4 Equality Scotland (A4ES) - have taken up most of my time and energy.

And although I haven't yet decided what I will actually do - I know that it's time for me to take up a new challenge.

I will continue to support all of the outstanding equal pay cases that are still underway - and I intend to keep the blog site going in one form or another.

But it's fair to say that in future I will be spending a lot less time on these issues - than has been the case in the past.

Essentially I plan to take a step or two back, so that I have the time and space to decide what I really want to do - maybe I will find a new cause which I can contribute to and help make a   difference - all serious suggestions will be considered.

So in terms of any day-to-day queries regarding things to do with equal pay, people's first point of contact should be Action 4 Equality Scotland or Fox Cross Solicitors in Edinburgh - who will be able to help and advise as necessary.

The relevant contact details are:

Action 4 Equality Scotland
E-mail: enquiries@action4equality.co.uk
Phone: 0131 652 7366

Fox Cross Solicitors
Web site: http://www.foxcross.co.uk/
E-mail: enquiries@foxcross.co.uk
Phone: 0131 652 7360

I'm sure regular readers know I have enjoyed the past seven years immensely.

I can honestly say that I have achieved much more with Action 4 Equality Scotland in terms of equal pay - than would ever have been possible as a trade union official.

Which is as good as it gets really - so this looks to me like the right time to consider new possibilities and a change of direction. 

The best way to explain how I feel is probably through the words of Robert Burns - which I spoke at my brother Kevin's funeral service - there can't be many better maxims for people to follow in leading their lives.

A Bottle and an Honest Friend - by Robert Burns.

"Here's a bottle and an honest friend!

What wad ye wish for mair, man?

Wha kens before his life may end,

What his share may be of care, man.


Then catch the moments as they fly,

And use them as ye ought, man:

Believe me, happiness is shy,

And comes not ay when sought, man."

So I plan to catch this particular moment while I can - and though I will continue to support A4ES and the ongoing fight for equal pay in Scotland - my role in future will be different.

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!