Glasgow - Equal Pay Update (06/04/18)



I forgot to mention in a recent post about visiting Glasgow City Chambers that I bumped into another elected member on my way out of the building - Councillor Graham Campbell from the SNP.



Now I hadn't met Cllr Campbell in the flesh before, but I recognised his photograph from the GCC web site, so I stopped and introduced myself because we had exchanged words, previously, via email, over equal pay.

Regular readers will recall that back in January I received a bizarre note from Cllr Campbell asking me to stop sending him information about the ongoing fight for equal pay in Glasgow City Council.

I queried this at the time, but never received a response so I took the opportunity to ask the councillor why he would behave in such a strange and rude way.

Graham's answer was that as a committed trade unionist he knows all about equal pay and doesn't need information from me or anyone else to help him 'see the wood through the trees'.

As you can imagine, we had a few words over his attitude because I've been involved in fighting for people's employment rights for most of my working life, yet I would never dream of presenting myself as someone who knows all there is to know on the subject.

In fact, I'm still on a steep learning curve and on a very regular basis I come across employers and council bosses who find new ways of trying to wriggle out of their commitments over equal pay or in relation to Freedom of Information requests, for example.

So if you ask me, Cllr Campbell's attitude is both arrogant and foolish, and I suspect he will come unstuck if he behaves in such a smug manner towards local constituents in Glasgow, especially those still fighting the City Council for equal pay.   

Picture Not Available

 

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence