Hand on the Tiller



Kenny Farquarhson wrote a very fair and thoughtful piece for The Times recently on the contribution made by John Swinney to the political fortunes of the SNP in recent years.

Now I've had some dealings with John Swinney in the past and I always found him to be a straight talker, a problem solver and the opposite of an ideologue.

So I was surprised to see that he has been shuffled out of his Finance role in the Scottish Government where he has served with some distinction since 2007.

And even though Mr Swinney has been given responsibility for the education portfolio, I suspect his more strategic 'hand on the tiller' finance role will be missed as the Scottish Government heads into rougher political water. 



http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/swinney-has-placed-the-snp-in-a-sweet-spot-fd2ts6w63

Opinion: Swinney has placed the SNP in a sweet spot

The party is now dominating Scottish politics not from the left but from the centre — exactly where he wants it


By Kenny Farquharson - The Times

John Swinney, deputy first minister, has positioned the SNP in the centre ground of Scottish politics PA:PRESS ASSOCIATION WIRE

It is May 1995 and I am talking to John Swinney in the campaign headquarters of the SNP at the Perth and Kinross by-election. The room is a blur of activity, full of that curious mix of characters you get at these contests: swaggering professionals from party HQ; local activists aglow with their moment in the sun; poor souls only there for a cuppa and some company.

Mr Swinney, who has just turned 31, is trying to persuade me that the SNP is going to win a famous victory in this Tory heartland. Aye, right, I say. I am hearing exactly the same from all the other campaigns. Why should I believe this guy?

“Look me in the eye,” says Mr Swinney.

I look him in the eye. He holds my gaze for maybe five seconds.

Then very slowly he says: “We . . . are going . . . to win this.”

Another pause. Then he breaks into a big, confident smile.

Not many politicians could get away with a stunt like that, but Mr Swinney did. This hard-bitten hack believed him. And sure enough, the SNP’s Roseanna Cunningham was triumphant when polls closed.

The quiet certainty I saw in Mr Swinney that day has been the hallmark of his political career since then. During that time he has served as SNP leader, but I would argue the peak of his career is right now. This Holyrood election marks the apotheosis of John Swinney’s long-term vision for the SNP as a moderate, centre-ground party that speaks for Middle Scotland.

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!