Humanist Values


I attended a funeral the other day - a service presided over by the Humanist Society Scotland, but which was very much an intimate family-led affair.

The service was not religious, of course - yet the people who were present on the day, from all faiths and none at all, were made to feel part of things - and very welcome.

There was beautiful music and poetry, enormous love and respect for the deceased,  with lots of fond, proud words and happy memories amid the tears - and just the right amount of fun and laughter to cut through the inevitable sorrow of saying goodbye.

Here's a poem which was read by one of the family members during the service:

Do not stand at my grave and weep

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep

I am a thousand winds that blow
I am the diamond glints on snow

I am the sunlight on ripened grain
I am the gentle autumn rain

When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush

Of quiet birds that shine at night
I am the soft stars that shine at night

Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.

In my ways it reminded me of my brother Kevin's funeral which was not a religious affair either - yet it had the same central, uplifting message that people live on in the hearts and memories of their loved ones and friends.

I think of Kevin almost every day and the strange thing is that now I find very comforting not sad - to remember a happy moment or times we shared together.

So, when it comes time for me to finally cash in my chips - I cant think of a better way to go than to enlist the help of the Humanist Society, in Scotland or elsewhere.

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence