Computer Scammers


I had a call the other day - an unsolicited call - from someone (a con man) who was out to perpetrate a computer scam - a nasty fraud.

The chap - who said his name was Mack and that he was calling from Manchester - claimed that he was representing Windows and my internet service provider.

And for a little while Mack sounded quite plausible - with ghastly tales of how my computer was sending out error signals to the main server.

I insisted on getting a telephone number from the chap - as I grew increasingly suspicious about his call.

I said that I would ring Mack back - which I did a short time later and found out that calls to the number were being screened by an automated answering service - which told its own story.

The number involved was 0131 208 0347.

I have since found out through a friend that this whole business is a well organised scam - perpetrated by people who are knowledgeable enough to sound convincing.

But whose real purpose is to try and persuade their 'victims' to allow remote access to their PCs - and then offer to fix non-existent problems - after relieving such people of a significant 'fee' from a credit card.

So if someone like Mack contacts you - then do what I did.

Tell them where the hell to get off - then pass on their details to your local trading standards office.    

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!