Mick McIntosh

An old friend of mine from the days of NUPE (National Union of Public Employees) passed away earlier today - Mick McIntosh.

Mick was one of the first NUPE activists I met when I returned to Scotland (Edinburgh) - having spent much of the 1980s in London - as a full-time NUPE official working under the then Thatcher Tory government.

My first encounter with Mick and his 'gang' was at the old Edinburgh District Council Branch - where they tried to give me a rough reception - to test my mettle.

Moving a motion - as I recall - to bring back my much loved predecessor as their NUPE Area Officer - with whom Mick and his pals had a 'close' and very comfortable working relationship.

I gave the motion and Mick himself short shrift - and told them all to sling their hook - which Mick appreciated especially - as an ex-sailor and man of the world.

Mick was, as they say, a rough diamond - but he was also a very committed person, with strong opinions - who tried to do the right thing whenever he could.

I didn't get to speak with Mick before he passed away - in Strathcarron Hospice - but if I had, I would have told him that he made a difference to lots of people's lives.

Which is all you can ask, really.

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence