What's a pun?

I listened idly to some radio programme earlier today which posed the momentous question: "What makes a good teacher?"

Well I would say a good teacher is someone who is not only on top of their subject - but also has that extra spark of humanity that allows them to smile with - as well as at - their students.

I remember a time at secondary school when a particularly good English teacher pounced on the class jester - who was not paying attention at the time:

"What's a pun, Bradley?", asked Mr Drake.

As quick as a flash - and without hesitation - Bradley replied:

"About 16 ounces, sir."

Instead of being punished or taken to task for his 'insolence', Mr Drake - as I recall - could not contain his admiration for Bradley's wit - and ability to think on his feet.

The whole class was rewarded in some way - which I can't recall - but that's what I always think of when think of a good teacher.

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence