Good Bye and Good Luck

My old colleague Matt Smith - regional secretary of Unison in Scotland is due to retire shortly.

Matt announced his plans earlier this year - he will be leaving the union after a lifetime of service to Unison and one of its founding unions - NALGO.

So, I would like to take this opportunity of wishing Matt well - and all the best for the future.

Because Matt and his friend Dave Prentis - the union's current general secretary - were instrumental in helping me to decide it was time to move on from Unison in 1999.

The fact is that I owe Matt and Dave a great debt - if I were a religious person, I would definitely remember them in my prayers every night.

With some regrets I moved on for the trade union movement - after twenty years of working with NUPE, the STUC and Unison - but I've never looked back since.

In fact I can honestly say that I've achieved much more on equal pay - working with Action 4 Equality Scotland - than would ever have been possible had I stayed with Unison.

I've a lot to thank Matt for - so I would just like to say: 'Good bye and good luck'.

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence